San Antonio College
San Antonio College is a community college that is a part of the Alamo Community College District.
Mission: To empower our community for success by meeting the postsecondary learning needs of a diverse and globally-networked society. To help students achieve their full potential by preparing them to graduate, transfer, or enter the workforce with effective critical thinking skills, communication proficiency, leadership ability, personal and civic responsibility, empirical and quantitative understanding, performance proficiency, and the ability to work effectively in teams.
Purpose: San Antonio College fulfills its mission by offering the following:
- Transfer education designed to provide students with the first two years of the bachelor's degree
- General education courses in the liberal arts and sciences to support all college degree programs
- Career preparation provided through a wide range of programs to prepare students for immediate employment
- Developmental studies for students to bring their basic skills to a level appropriate for college work
- Continuing education, including a variety of enrichment, training, licensure, and professional programs
- Academic and student support services for all students, including those with special needs, that include comprehensive advising and monitoring, high-quality learning resources, assessment, counseling, tutoring, and financial assistance
- Academic co-curricular activities and social and cultural activities; and information literacy
The student has the opportunity to learn both the art and science of nursing; both are necessary for a registered nurse to practice nursing care. A variety of learning venues include the classroom, a fully-equipped simulation hospital on campus and direct patient care in the hospital or other clinical settings provide the experiences to enable the graduate to enter the profession as a competent beginning nurse.
Face-to-Face - Undergraduate Degree
A two-year program that prepares the student to become a registered nurse. The program awards the Associate Degree of Applied Science (AAS). The nursing department at San Antonio College is one of the largest program in San Antonio and Texas. It is highly competitive.
Applicants must meet all admission requirements for the college and for the Nursing Program. This track is appropriate for students who have no prior nursing experience. This is a four semester program. Students are accepted in both Fall and Spring. Students must complete the program study within 5 years of the date of program start. All required general education required for the ADN should be completed before application into the nursing program.
Face-to-Face - Undergraduate Degree
The Associate of Applied Science in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity will prepare students to design, implement and secure computer networks. Students with this degree will be able to install security software, monitor networks for security breaches, respond to cyber-attacks and in some cases, gather data and evidence to be used in prosecuting cyber-crime. Some security courses in this degree have been approved by National Security Agency, NSA (applies to SAC and SPC only).
The National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has designated San Antonio College as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance 2-Year Education. The CIS department courseware has been reviewed by national level information assurance subject matter experts as part of the Information Assurance Courseware Evaluation (IACE) Program and determined to meet all of the elements of the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) National Training Standard for: Information Systems Security (INFOSEC) Professionals, NSTISSI No. 4011 and Senior Systems Managers, CNSSI No. 4012
- Health & Health Care: Nursing
- Computers & Software: Security & Cybersecurity